Another great body- and soul-warming vegan favourite. Works great for when you need a hug in your life. This soup feels like a hug.
- 2 cups red lentils, rinsed
- 1 cup bulgur
- 1 can canned whole tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 tsp. cumin (optional)
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 6 cups (1 gallon) broth or water
- Crumbled feta
- Pumpkin seeds
- Lemon juice
- Plan yoghurt
Peel and roughly chop the onion. In a large pot, heat 1 tbsp of oil on medium heat. Cook the onion until translucent, about 5 min. Add the aromatics: cumin, pepper and tomato paste. Cook, stirring well, until the tomato paste turns orange, about 5 min.
Add the rest of the ingredients. Bring to boil on high heat. Reduce the heat and let simmer for a few hours.
Process with a blender until desired smoothness. Adjust the seasoning.
Serve hot with your choice of garnishes.
- Keeps for about 1 week in the fridge.
- Freezes well.
- If you make it really-really thick, can be used as a pureed side-dish.