This is a great hack to add a certain je ne sais quoi to your food if it feels bland. It goes with everything — baked potatoes, meats, middle eastern foods, beans, bowls, salads, sandwiches. The only limit is your imagination. I usually have this in my fridge on standby.
- 1 onion, red, white or yellow. Or 3-4 shallots. Sliced.
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp vinegar: plain white, apple, white wine, raspberry*
- 1/2 tsp salt
- (optional) 1/2 tsp sumac or sweet paprika
Place everything in a jar or Tupperware with a tight-fitting lid.
Shake vigorously to mix.
Let stand for at least 30 minutes before eating.*
- These are the kinds of vinegar I’ve used, but I’m sure you can go wild with experimentation here.
- Keeps for 3-4 days in the fridge.