Cold Soba Noodles Salad
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2016 | Source: Ex
• 1 bunch soba noodles
• 1/2 medium carrot
• 1/4 medium zucchini (optional)
• 1/2 inch thick piece silken tofu
• 2-3 asparagus stems (or green string beans)
• 3-5 cherry tomatoes
• 1 green onion blade
• 1/2 tea spoon brown sugar
• 1/2 tea spoon sesame seeds
• 1 tea spoon rice vinegar
• 1/2 tea spoon sesame oil
• 1/4 tea spoon soy sauce (or to taste)
• 1/4 tea spoon chilli oil - optional, if you like it hot or substitute some freshly cut chilies if you're brave
• 4-5 ice cubes, optional
Bring a medium pot of water to a vigourous boil. Add the noodles and cook for 4 minutes exactly. Drain and rinse well with cold water. For extra coldness, add some ice cubes and let chill thoroughly before serving.
In the same pot, pour about two finger deep layer of water. Remove tough parts of asparagus stems, place asparagus into the pot. Cover with lid. Bring to boil on high heat. As soon as water starts boiling, drain asparagus and shock in cold water until no longer warm. Cut the stems into 2-3 pieces each.
Wash, peel and julienne carrot and zucchini. Wash & halve cherry tomatoes. Cut green onion diagonally into very thin slices. Cut the tofu into 1/2 inch cubes or slabs, whichever you like.
In a small cup mix together the rice vinegar, sesame oil, soy sauce, sesame seeds, chilli oil (if using) and brown sugar. Mix thoroughly.
Place soba noodles onto the plate. Add the vegetables. Place pieces of tofu on top. Pour the sauce on top of tofu. Sprinkle with green onions. Enjoy with a glass of something very cold.