Carrot ginger coconut soup
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2016 | Source: ?
- 5 carrots, peeled and cut into slices
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 inch cube of ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 400 ml can coconut milk
- 4 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- 1/8 tea spoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tea spoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 tea spoon sweet paprika
- 1 table spoon olive oil
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
Optional, for decoration:
- Finely chopped flat-leaf parsley, for decoration (optional) - for summer version
- Ground nutmeg, for decoration - winter version
- Shredded coconut, for decoration (optional)
In a medium pot, heat 1 table spoon olive oil on a medium heat. Add onion, cook until golden and just starting to brown. Add garlic, cook for one more minute. Add carrots, mix well, add 1/4 cup water, cover with lid and cook for about 6 minutes, until the carrots soften slightly.
Add potatoes, ginger, coconut milk and broth, bring to boil, reduce heat to low. Add turmeric, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. Cover and cook until vegetables are soft, about 20 minutes.
Process soup with blender until desired smoothness.
Ladle soup into bowls, decorate with chopped parsley or nutmeg and coconut before serving.