- 1 cup dried beans or lentils
- 2 cups water
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1-2 by leaves*
Place all ingredients in a pot with a tight-fitting lid. Keep in mind that beans expand when cooked, so leave some space.
Bring to boil over high heat.
Cover and cook until the beans are soft*.
- I don’t use bay leaf for garbanzo beans and red kidney beans, up to you
- The exact time depends on the kind and age of your beans. Expect about 30 min for lentils and up to 2 hours for black beans.
- Do not mix different kind of beans when cooking.
- If you’re running low in water, which may happen with older, drier beans, add about 1/2 cup boiling water from a kettle, cover and continue cooking.
Photo credit unsplash